Sugar Cookie Dancing

This week is teacher appreciation week.  In honor of that I was asked to make a sugar cookie bouquet for a dance teacher.  Last time I made a bouquet for a dancer I wanted to try putting dance silhouettes on the cookie, but I just didn’t have time to figure out how to do it.  Well, this weekend I decided to take the plunge and try some different techniques. I printed off several silhouettes of dancers, reduced them to the correct size and I was on my way.  I tried three different techniques to create the silhouettes from royal icing. The first technique I tried was parchment paper.  I put the silhouettes under the parchment paper and then traced the silhouette on the parchment paper using a #1 tip.  That worked well and it was easy to see what I was outlining. Next, I used my Kopykake and projected the image onto the parchment paper and traced it.  That worked well also, however, the Kopykake is new and it took me a few minutes to figure out how keep my shadow off the projected image so I could actually see what I was tracing.   After enough attempts, I think I figured out how to do that. The next thing I tried was to put the image under a Silpat mat.   However, due to the thinness of the limbs of the silhouettes and the pattern on the Silpat I had a hard time seeing the silhouette and after just two attempts I gave up on that technique. The last technique was to project the image of the silhouette onto the Silpat mat.  Here are the royal icing silhouettes on the Silpat:
Silhouettes on Silpat
This is the technique I liked the best – and here is why:  After letting the silhouettes dry for 24 hours I was ready to see how easily they came off the parchment and Silpat mat.  The silhouettes came off the parchment paper, but for some reason they seemed more brittle (could just be my imagination) and I broke a few of them.  I had read that you should oil/grease the parchment paper a little before applying royal icing so that it will come off easier.  But I, being the novice that I am, know better (wow, you’d think I was a teenager) and did not do that.  Perhaps if I had, they would not have broken so easily. As for the Silpat, in my opinion, it was the winning technique.  The figures popped right off without any breakage (correction, one did break). I then iced the cookies and added the silhouette to the wet frosting.  Here is the completed bouquet:

3 comments on “Sugar Cookie Dancing

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>